Pages

February 26, 2013

A MUST read book that is close to my heart

The book I am about to tell you about is very near and dear to my heart. Codename: Sob Story: The Tale of a Picket Line Sailor During WWII is a memoir of my grandfather (my mother's father to be exact) is a memoir about my grandfather (my mother's father to be exact) and his experiences as a sailor in World World II. He never spoke much about his time at war just little bits and pieces here and there, but mainly only the fun times he had. I do remember him fondly speaking about being in Hawaii (at least I think it was Hawaii) and throwing entire pieces of furniture over a hotel balcony after a night of drinking then being kicked out of the hotel! This book goes into the nitty gritty and is a tell all that our family had yet to hear until now. Even my mother or mom-mom knew most of the stories contained in this book. What makes this book even better is the fact that my little cousin (she will always be a little kid to me!) Jena wrote it. She is a talented writer and this is her first published full length book. I’m beyond glad that my grandfather is still around to see this come to fruition as this is a great accomplishment and story for our whole family to hold onto forever and ever!




Here's the synopsis from Amazon.com:
For close to seventy years, Robert J. Steinmetz Sr. never spoke about the time he served in the Pacific during WWII. Not even his wife or four children knew the details of the three years he served in the United States Navy. UNTIL NOW. Codename: Sob Story is the true story of how Steiny, a 19-year old Philadelphia native, fought and survived aboard the USS Gear ARS 34. Through seven major Pacific invasions, hopeless nights and longer days, he learned war is not something you can get away from--it stays with you for life. An "as told to" memoir, written by his granddaughter.

Here is a link to a press release my sister, Jill Perry, wrote for the book: Philadelphia woman publishes war story of her grandfather

Please visit the links below if you would like to purchase the book which is available on Amazon in paperback or kindle download.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment