Pages

September 18, 2009

The Nightman Did Cometh to Philadelphia


My story begins on a cold, dismal day in August (ok maybe it wasn’t cold and dismal). I was looking into getting tickets for the live performance of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia’s The Nightman Cometh after they had gone on sale and well the cheapest ones I could find were about $150. Bummer. While streaming Preston & Steve at work a few days later I hear that a second showing of the performance had been added and would be going on sale in approximately 15 minutes, even better, a presale code had been released on the WMMR website. People kept asking me how I got tickets and well I just went on the website, had a presale code and bought them, yeah I know, so simple!

Ok now to the good stuff…fast forward September 17. My tickets were for the 11:00pm showing and the actual show didn’t start until about 12:00am. Did I mention my friend Frank had managed to come across an All Access Pass for backstage after the show? Side note: One of the bars had a neon Paddy’s Pub sign over it and the bartenders and waitresses all had the shirts on. I thought it was a nice touch, although anyone attending the show with said shirt got made fun of by myself and Danielle.

The show begins with a band (no idea who they were) playing some songs no one knows while being pelted with insults and boos from the crowd. The MC comes out and announces we will be seeing scenes from the never before aired Christmas Episode. Plot: Charlie has beef with Santa. I won’t talk about it --buy the DVD to see it (I know I will), but it is hysterical and disturbing as per usual. After that we were under the impression we were viewing the premier episode of Season 5, however I just realized they actually showed us a future episode from Season 5! Story line is the gang wants to challenge their flip cup rival, whom they previously poisoned, after they are allowed back in the Flipadelphia Tournament Dee sucks at flip cup so they need to recruit members and resort to a Penn frat. Once again I don’t want to ruin it since it hasn’t aired but its genius and I can’t wait to purchase/make a Flipadelphia tee shirt (it’s a sweet design). Anyone want in on that endeavor? Flip, Flip, Flipadelphia!

Finally the Nightman Cometh begins. I was actually very surprised that it went almost literally word for word with the episode, however there were a few new tunes, including my new favorite, “There’s I got a Troll in my Hole” and an extra scene with Dennis (as the boy) and Frank (as the troll) annoying the shit out of each other. Of course there was some expletive language added in and the rape scene was a bit more “dramatic”. I’m not going to lie I was a little worried Dennis’ Dayman costume wouldn’t be as short and ill fitted as it was on TV but it exceeded my expectations! The fight between Dayman and Nightman was really great too.



It couldn’t have lived up to my hopes and dreams any better. I, as did everyone else at the Tower, laughed A LOT! After the show we waited for Frank to find out if he could get some more access passes but unfortunately it wasn’t possible. He said that only Glenn and Rob were around anyways so Danielle took the pass and went in to get a pic with Rob then ran out. I ended up in bed at approximately 3:15am. It was WELL worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment